Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I'm going to end up naming each post "stuff", aren't I?

Few things on my mind right now, despite being ridiculously tired. But I shall aim to 'blog' about them, nonetheless...


1) First up, every man and his dog seems to have a blog. Not that this is hugely relevant to anything, really, but thought it was worth mentioning. I guess it has just hit me in the last couple of days that there is this MASSIVE online community of designers, artists and makers from just about everywhere blogging about what it is they do. Which it quite awesome, really. Why am I always late to the party?

The reason it's really interesting me at the moment relates to the last thing I posted about... independent designers having their designs copied, and the only way they can sometimes hit back is through blogs such as 'you thought we wouldn't notice' and spreading the word through Twitter and so on. Interesting that the very medium assisting designers to get their work noticed also makes them more vulnerable to the 'copiers' - images and photographs for free on the internet!


2) Oh yay, people commenting on my creations! Verbally and to my face, that is. You know, the old-fashioned way. None of this 'comment on a post' stuff. Speaking of, I'm sure that no-one reads this blog but me. But hey, it's a way of keeping me motivated to make and document and... I digress. Sorry. Where was I?

Oh yeah, comments on my stuff. Have been wearing some creations out as of late (test drive - want to make sure they stand up to wear and tear) and have been getting some really positive responses. Nice to know it stands out in the crowd! (I refer to pieces in the Things of Metal and Stone category, if anyone is wants to know).

Interestingly, a lot of people are asking me if I have training in gold or silversmithing. I wish that I had the time to do that sort of training! So, no I don't, but it's really nice to know that my work comes across as being that well constructed. And I'm not going to go into exactly how I DO make these things, as all this stuff about copyright and theft of intellectual property has got me very paranoid. And I would be here forever explaining it, too.


3) Finally, a uni related visit to Craft Victoria today was a well timed reminder to get on to applying for markets to sell my wares! My interest was also very much piqued by the idea of applying for exhibitions there as well. Am aching to research into lace and explore using chain stitch (the beading stitch) to create fitted garments... there is potential to create pieces with no seams with a continuous pattern all over it. It's the kind of thing that would take months and months, though, and I really don't know how much time I can spare at the moment. Eeek!


1 comment:

  1. hewwo wovewy sister of mine :) I wead the article. pwetty amazing weally. How do you feel about people stealing your designs? Does it fwighten you?

    ReplyDelete